What's the most important thing you need in an emergency - what is
it that you must have every second, every moment?
The answer isn't food, or even water, or even air. The answer is God.
In a crisis, what you most need to survive is God. The best practice
is to connect to God during non-emergency times. As you read over the
below, please pray and see to which items God directs your
The image to the left is of emergency vehicles outside the WAVES'
2006 Boston hotel, late at night. Utter normality is reflected in the
glass; outside, though, the emergency lights flash. Don't be asleep -
Information by WAVES, for WAVES
- Summary List - Updated with items
from the below articles by Tamago, so if you're in a real hurry, check
this list out first.
- Spiritual Preparedness
guide, by WAVE Andrea, plus her Printable Bible Quotes and
bookmark. Staying in-tune with
God even in scary circumstances!
- WAVES August 2006 Newsletter: Preparedness - Excellent overview! Who, what, why, how.
- Note from Betty
- The MOST important thing (God)
- Creating a 72 Hour Kit.
- True Story! WAVES in a Boston hotel, 2006, and the fire alarms go off! Learn more!
- Betty's lessons from the Seattle
Storm - posted by Kristen. This was theory turned into
practice during the storms in Dec. 2006 - reading this gives you a
VERY good idea of what it's like to be in a moderate disaster area...
- Karen's lessons from the
Missouri ice storm - Excellent first-hand knowledge and
advice, including on heating, insurance, money, etc.
- Lynette's reminder about special
dietary needs - and how many preparedness foods contain
artificial and/or allergy-inducing ingredients.
- Cathy's emergency medical advice - what to do in case of bleeding, burns, fractures, shock, and choking. A must-read!
- Vicki Kathleen's important reminders - safety, warmth, etc.
- Car Emergency Preparedness - be prepared with your motor vehicle!
- Lafe and Tamago: Long-term Living with
the Land - includes information and recipes from
Lafe. Fire-less cooking, water conservation, seeds, gardening, poultry,
September 2005 Newsletter: Betty on preparedness.
- WAVES' Favorite Resources - survival
guides, emergency planning, preparedness, extreme heat - what to do.
Know Where to Go/Whom to Contact
If you have loved ones around the country or continent, you might want
to arrange beforehand for where to meet or how to get in contact.
Know what websites to check, what email accounts to access, what phone
numbers to call!
In Case of Earthquake, Where Do You Hide? (And More)
Did you know that earthquakes have, in the past, hit most parts of the
USA? This means most of the country, not just California. Be
prepared. Know where to go, and secure your tall, heavy furniture!
Plus, when to shut off the gas, etc.
Places to Buy Supplies From
From Meals-Ready-to-Eat (MREs), to water purification tablets that
kill dangerous water germs, to dehydrated food, to emergency lights,
emergency radios, spare backpacks, 55 gallon water containers,
waterproof matches, and emergency medical kits, these sites have them
all. Remember clean water is what you need more than food, and
remember also the need to stay warm and dry if you're caught away from
home. Don't forget your emergency medical kits, too - or your
- Emergency Essentials is at
beprepared.com. (Betty has bought from here, and so have I.) They have
some nice kits; they have radios, flashlights, MRE food, water storage
drums, water purifiers, first aid, emergency blankets, etc.
- The Red Cross Store
has a number of preparedness items, including DVDs on pet preparedness.
- http://www.emprep.com/ - never ordered from them; this is a Google hit.
- http://www.homelandpreparedness.com/ - never ordered from them; this is a Google hit.
- http://theepicenter.com/ - never ordered from them; this is a Google hit.
- Basically, search on Google
preparedness" and "supplies"!
Let us have compassion for all those who suffer from disasters or
horrific events. To quote Jesus from Luke:
"Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in this way they
were worse sinners than all other Galileans? Or those eighteen who
were killed when the tower of Siloam fell on them - do you think that
they were worse offenders than all the others living in Jerusalem?"
Let's just strive to be prepared so that we can be a blessing to those
around us, if such stressful events do happen to occur!