Rei's Japan Trips
Photo Indices and Essays
2003, 2008 (under construction)
2008 Photo Index (click here)
More coming (eventually). (9/08)
Trip 2003 Observations (write-up)
Includes observations on
current Japanese culture and how it got to where it is, cultural
trivia, extra information, links to pictures and history explanations
on the 'net, etc.
2003 Photo Index by Locale
(Includes text commentary for each general area, as well as for each
photo. Note: these are a sampling of some of the better photos I
took. I believe I took well over 700 photos in just over 2 weeks.
In a previous trip I took nearly 2 hours of video, but I have
since concluded it's simply easier to post photos than video on
Tokyo and Vicinity
- General Tokyo views
- Trains, train stations, Tokyo at night, garbage truck, Mito
- Tokyo shopping (including
- Electronics store, toilet seat,
department store, Asakusa Temple, more!
- More Tokyo views ***New
- Including special traditional Japanese foods
(the original curry pan, plus a traditional street vendor), the famous
Mitsukoshi flagship department store, fields, and a melon cream soda....
Nagano and Vicinity
- Nagano and Nearby Towns
- Lunch at Nagano, a wartime kids' toy, mountain views, hotspring hotel
and luxury meal!
- Tanaka Honke Museum Garden (near Nagano)
- The garden was absolutely stunning... check out the chrysanthemums!
- General Kyoto
- Kyoto street scenes, Kyoto Station (eki), Astroboy, Osaka,
hotel pictures, and yes, one of those famous Japanese FAKE FOOD
- Nijoujou castle,
Sanjuusangendo Temple, and Kiyomizu Temple
- Home of the shogunate, plus night time temple scenes and
- Tenryuuji (temple) and the famous
Ryoanji (Zen garden temple)
- Beautiful vast gardens, some rare temple interior shots, drum,
bell, bamboo, live lotuses, and THE famous Zen sand garden (actually gravel).
- Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji, Toji, and
- The literally golden Golden Pavillion, the not so silver Silver
Pavillion, a mysterious stuffed animal, the millennium-old back of the
10-yen coin, 5 story pagoda, and a real live Buddhist abbot!
- The super cool MANHOLE COVER collection!
- You won't see these kinds of photos in just ANYONE's tourist photo
- Food (and Drink) Pictures
- Photos strongly related to food and drink, all taken from the
above web pages and collected in one place.
Text and photos copyright 2003, 2004 Eri Izawa
Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.
Rei's Anime and
Manga Page (includes essays on Japanese culture).